Last Updated: November 6, 2018
Under California Civil Code § 1798.83, California residents may request a notice identifying the categories of personal information which we share with certain third parties for direct marketing purposes under certain circumstances and providing contact information for such third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to us at the address provided below under the Section entitled "Contact Information."
We may share any information collected from this Albertsons Store Site, including your personal information, information about your order details, and information that we combine from other sources, with Albertsons. Albertsons may use this information for its own purposes, including for its own sales and marketing purposes. You can opt-out of receiving Albertsons sales and marketing emails at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in those emails. Further details are available in Instacart’s Terms of Service.
Information we collect
1. Information you provide to us or allow others to provide to us
At various points in the Instacart experience, you may provide us with information about yourself. For example, when you create an account through the Services, you provide us with PII like your name, email address, and zip or postal code. And if you place an order through the Services, we collect information including your address, phone number, birth date (for alcohol orders or prescription delivery, where available), credit card information, vehicle license plate number(s) (for curbside pickup orders) and the details of your order. Your account information may be updated or corrected by accessing your account settings.
If you use the Services for prescription delivery (where available), the third- party pharmacy processing your prescription will provide to your name, address, email address, birth date, phone number, the total amount being charged to you for the prescription drug product(s), and sales tax information for the prescription drug product(s) (if applicable). The third-party pharmacy will also share whether or not the prescription drug product you have ordered requires temperature control. If a prescription drug product delivered to you through the Services has been recalled, the third-party pharmacy will share your name, email address, the date of the prescription drug product order, and the total amount to be refunded to you with Instacart. The pharmacy will not disclose to us the name, quantity, manufacturer or distributor of the prescription drug you have ordered or any other PHI about you other than your status as a patient of the pharmacy.
If you log into the Instacart service through a third-party service, both we and that third-party may receive some information about you and your use of the services. For example, if you choose to log into Instacart with your Facebook account, we may receive information about your contacts. We may also offer social sharing tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button) that let you share actions on Instacart with other sites and vice versa. In those cases, the providers of those tools may receive information about you when you use those tools. You should check the privacy policies of these services and your settings there for more information.
If you wish to invite your friends and contacts to use the Services, we will give you the option of either entering in their contact information manually or, for United States residents, importing it from your address books on other third-party services. In both cases, we will store this information for the sole purposes of allowing you to send your friends referral offers, for determining whether your friends use the Services after a referral is sent, and, for United States residents, to remind your friends of the referral sent on your behalf.
Our partners may let us collect information about use of their sites/apps or share such information with us. For example, if you use an Instacart button or widget on another site or app, we may receive information about your use of that button or widget and the third-party site/app.
Our Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information.
2. Technical information about usage of Instacart
When you use the Instacart services, either through a browser or mobile app, we automatically receive some technical information about the hardware and software that is being used.
Cookies, Pixels, and Other Tracking Technologies:We and our partners use various technologies to collect information, including cookies, pixels, and device identifiers. Cookies are small text files that are sent by your computer when you access our services through a browser. We may use session cookies (which expire when you close your browser), persistent cookies (which expire when you choose to clear them from your browser), pixels, scripts, and other identifiers to collect information from your browser or device that helps us do things such as understand how you use our services and other services; personalize your experience; measure, manage, and display advertising on the Services or on other services; understand your usage of the Services and other services in order to serve customized ads and remember that you are logged into the Services. By using your browser settings, you may block cookies or adjust settings for notifications when a cookie is set.
We employ some third-party services to help us understand the usage of Instacart, and these third-parties may also deploy cookies or pixels on our site or collect information through our mobile applications. For example, we use Google Analytics to understand, in a non-personal way, how users interact with various portions of our site -- you can learn more about information that Google may collect here.
Log information:When you use Instacart, our servers will record information about your usage of the service and information that is sent by your browser or device. Logs information can include things like the IP address of your device, information about the browser, operating system and/or app you are using, unique device identifiers, pages that you navigate to and links that you click, searches that you run on Instacart, and other ways you interact with the service. If you are logged into the Instacart service, this information is stored with your account information.
Interest-Based or Online Behavioral Advertising:Instacart may use third- party advertising companies to serve interest-based advertisements to you. These companies compile information from various online sources (including mobile-enabled browsers and applications) to match you with ads that will be the most relevant, interesting, and timely for you. If you would like to opt-out of interest-based advertising, please visit http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/ . Please note that you will be opted out of all interest-based advertising from all business members of the Network Advertising Initiative for that specific browser on that specific device. If you opt-out, you may continue to see Instacart’s or our partners’ online advertisements; however, these ads will not be as relevant to you.
How we use your information
We may use the information we collect for various purposes, including to:
- Provide the Instacart service to you, improve the quality of the service, and develop new products and services
- Allow your Personal Shopper (which means those that shop for and/or deliver the order for you, including our retail partner and their employees/agents where applicable or our third-party providers) to choose your items at a retailer site, deliver your items to you, and/or call or text you with any updates or issues
- Charge you for the purchase and delivery costs through one or more payment processing partners
- Offer you customized content (including advertising, coupons, and promotions).
- Understand how users interact with our service as a whole in order to test new features or changes in our features, and improve the services for everyone
- Provide customer service, respond to your communications and requests, and contact you about your use of Instacart (Note: You can opt-out of receiving promotional communications from Instacart by using the settings on the Account Info page)
What we share
Instacart is a platform that presents you with a set of retailer virtual storefronts from which you can select goods for picking, packing and delivery by individual Personal Shopper(s) to your location or, if available, for you to pick up in-store. In order to make this work, we need to share information about you and your order with the other parties who help enable the service. This includes, for example, the Personal Shopper(s) who pick and deliver your order, and the payment processing partner(s) that we use to validate and charge your credit card. To be clear, only our payment processing partner(s) receive any credit card information.
We also share information under the following principles:
With your consent or at your direction
— We will share your information with entities outside of Instacart when we have your consent to do so or it is done at your direction.
- If you enter loyalty card information from a particular retailer, we share that information with the retailer you chose along with your order so that information can update your loyalty card account.
- If you share a recipe publicly on Instacart, it is viewable by anyone along with your first name and last initial.
- If you invite friends to use Instacart through our referral program or to share a shopping cart, we will share some information with the friends you invite like your name and picture. Likewise if you choose to join someone else’s cart, they will see some of your information.
- For external processing or service provision — We sometimes employ third parties outside of Instacart to process information on our behalf or to provide certain services (such as delivery services or advertising services). For the purposes of this processing or provision of services, we may share your information with them under appropriate confidentiality provisions.
- For legal purposes — We may share your information when we believe that the disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with applicable laws, regulations, legal process, or requests from law enforcement or regulatory authorities, (b) prevent, detect, or otherwise handle fraud, security, or technical issues, and (c) protect the safety, rights, or property of any person, the public, or Instacart.
- On a non-personal or aggregate basis — We share information with retailers and advertisers on both a non-personally identifying basis (including order and delivery details but not including credit card information) and an aggregate basis.
- To enable purchase of alcohol — When you buy alcohol using Instacart, we may be required by law to share certain information with the retailer who makes the sale. This information could include, among other things, the names and addresses of the purchaser and recipient, state ID information, the quantity, brand, price, proof, and volume of alcohol purchased, and a recipient signature.
- For business purposes — We may share your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company. We may also share your information between and among Instacart, and its current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
Personal Health Information
Your PHI is protected under HIPAA and under certain state laws. Those laws give you rights with respect to the access, use, and disclosure of PHI by your health care providers, such as pharmacies, and us. When you place a pharmacy order using our Services, the pharmacy responds as we have described above under the Section entitled "Information we collect" by disclosing to Instacart your status as a patient of the pharmacy. Information concerning your status as a patient of the pharmacy is PHI and protected by HIPAA. As discussed above, no other PHI will be disclosed to us by your pharmacy and no other PHI will be disclosed by Instacart to your personal shopper other than your status as a patient of the pharmacy. For a more complete description of your rights under HIPAA and the uses and disclosures of your PHI, please refer to your pharmacy's Notice of Privacy Practices. We will not disclose your PHI without your prior written consent with other people or non-affiliated companies unless: (i) it is needed to provide our Services, (ii) it has been "de-identified" so that it cannot identify you, (ii) we have your prior written consent, (iv) disclosure is required by law, or (v) we are acquired or file for bankruptcy.
We employ administrative, physical, and technical measures designed to safeguard and protect information under our control from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. These measures include encrypting your communications by utilizing Secure Sockets Layer ("SSL") software, and using a secure messaging service when we send your PHI electronically. In addition, when we collect, maintain, access, use, or disclose your PHI, we will do so using systems and processes consistent with information privacy and security requirements under applicable federal and state laws, including, without limitation, HIPAA. All electronic PHI will be encrypted at rest and in transit.
We will make any legally required notifications of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your PHI or PII, including, without limitation, breaches of your stored PHI or PII (as breaches are defined under applicable state or federal statutes on security breach notification). To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we will make such notifications to you in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Changes to this Policy
This policy may change from time to time and any revised Policy will be posted at this page, so we encourage you to review it regularly. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this Policy and, in the case of materials changes to the Policy, we may provide you with additional notice (such as a notice in our user interface or sending you a notification by email).
For Residents of California
If you are a California resident, you may ask Instacart for a notice describing what categories of personal information Instacart shares with third parties or affiliates for those third parties or affiliates’ direct marketing purposes and identify the name and address of the third parties that received such personal information. Please submit a written request to the information provided below and specify at you want a copy of your California Privacy Rights Notice.
Under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, California residents are entitled to the following specific consumer rights notice: If you have a question or complaint regarding the Website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact us by writing to us at the address provided below under the Section entitled "Contact Information." California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs may be contacted in writing at 400 R Street, Suite 1080, Sacramento, California 95814, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
For Residents of Canada
You may request access to or correction of your personal information, or withdraw consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, by writing to our Trust & Safety Manager at the address or email below. These rights are subject to applicable contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before honoring any such requests.
50 Beale Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, California 94105
For customer service inquiries visit our Help Center